SOF Team Room – Resources
The resources below were provided by the Host and Content Sponsor Organizations of the February 2022 SOF Team Room virtual event that occurred on 16 FEB 2022. Bookmark this page for easy access in the future.
Let us know what you thought of the event in this short survey.
Team Room Panel Recordings
Connection Sprint (All Secure Foundation)
All Secure Foundation: Assists Special Operations Active Duty and Combat Veterans, and their families in recovery of post-traumatic stress through education, awareness, and resources for healing, workshop retreats, and PTS Resiliency training.
- Tom’s Book: All Secure: A Special Operations Soldier’s Fight to Survive on the Battlefield and the Homefront.
- Jen’s Book: Arsenal of Hope: Tactics for Takingon PTSD, Together.
- “Get Down! On the Floor!” – connecting and interacting with your kids
- Uncertain Times: The Power of Connecting with your Child
This health sprint seeks to provide basic, practical information about health interventions that are being discussed among and within the special operations community. There is a lot to learn about these interventions before they can be endorsed as evidence-based care interventions. Operators often have more than 1 chronic health condition (impact of chronic stress and exposures), and effective care can be very hard to find and access. For this reason, it is always important to have a Primary Care doctor overseeing all your care and discuss care options with your family. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to our team with questions.
We will host a Topic Deep Dive Event the week of March 28 to more fully answer any questions and concerns you may have on these issues. Email: email@example.com
- MSOF Health and Wellness Fact Sheet: Stellate Ganglion Block (SGB)
- JAMAPsychiatry: Effect of Stellate Ganglion Block Treatment on Posttraumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms A Randomized Clinical Trial
Conclusion: …. The study suggests that SGB merits further trials as a PTSD treatment adjunct.
- Society of Uniformed Services Psychiatrists: Educational Event on Stellate Ganglion Block for PTSD (Feb 1, 2022)
- SAGE Journal: Chronic Stress: Psychedelic Treatment for Trauma-Related Psychological and Cognitive Impairment Among US Special Operations Forces Veterans
Conclusion: U.S. Special Operations Forces Veterans may have unique treatment needs because of the sequela of problems associated with repeated trauma exposure and the nature of the exposure. Psychedelic-assisted therapy with these under- researched psychedelics may hold unique promise for this population. However, controlled studies are needed to determine whether this treatment is efficacious in relieving mental health and cognitive impairment among U.S. Special Operations Forces Veterans.
- Opinion Article in JAMA Psychiatry: The Rapid Rise in Investment in Psychedelics— Cart Before the Horse
Conclusion: There may be tension between avid advocates of this class of compounds and the deliberately slower pace of adoption encouraged by the scientific method, but rigorous research is necessary to more fully understand the risks and benefits involved in any presumptive clinical application. The first wave of psychedelic research was disrupted by conflict between cultural and political forces. The current wave of psychedelic research could be susceptible to an emerging conflict between entrepreneurial enthusiasm and scientific deliberation.
- American Journal of Psychiatry: Psychedelics & Psychedelic Assisted Psychotherapy
Conclusions: Randomized clinical trials support the efficacy of MDMA in the treatment of PTSD and psilocybin in the treatment of depression and cancer-related anxiety. The research to support the use of LSD and ayahuasca in the treatment of psychiatric disorders is preliminary …. Overall, the database is insufficient for FDA approval of any psychedelic compound for routine clinical use in psychiatric disorders at this time.
- Video Testimony before the TX House for House Bill 1802: Passed in June 2021, it supports a clinical trial of psilocybin for Veterans with PTSD. Dr. Averill will serve as the PI for this trial and was able to serve as subject matter expert for this. The link includes my testimony as well as testimony from three SOF Veterans (Andrew Marr, Marcus Capone, and Morgan Luttrell) and one of their wives (Amber Capone). Testimony starts at 29 minutes.
Mission & Transition (Boulder Crest Foundation)
Boulder Crest Foundation trains people to thrive in the aftermath of their trauma. Boulder Crest’s signature PATHH programs teach our participants how to make peace with their past, live in the present, and begin planning for their future.
- Ken’s Books: Struggle Well and Lead Well
- Warrior PATHH: SOF options and General options. Stress leaves a mark others can’t see.
- Family Rest and Reconnection: Boulder Crest welcomes combat veterans and their families for Family R&R. Families stay free of charge at either location for 2-7 nights and for one stay every other calendar year. Reservations open four months in advance on the final working day of each month
- Couples PATHH: gives partners the chance to grow, reconnect, and find the love and joy they knew before trauma impacted their lives.
- Songwriting with Soldiers (SWS) PATHH
Military Special Operations Family Collaborative
- MSOF Educational Program Catalog: Workshops and Training
- SOF Family Resources: https://msofc.org/connect/
- SOF Well-being and Performance
- SOF Family Dinner Challenge
- White Paper: Resourcing Special Operations Force and Family
- SOF Family Wellness Workshop Application & Interest Form
SOF for Life Program
- SOF for Life Program Overview:
- The Honor Foundation:
- Global SOF Foundation Membership:
- AAFMAA Wealth Management:
- 17-18 NOV SOF for Life Transition Seminar: